Miami Fun Facts
1. Miami was named for the Mayaimis, a Native American tribe who lived in the area until the 17th or 18th century. The Mayaimis took their name from Lake Okeechobee, which was called Mayaimis or “big water”.
2. The first suntan lotion was invented by Miami Beach pharmacist, Benjamin Green in 1944.
3. Miami Beach was a mangrove swamp before its development started in the 1920s.
4. The only Everglades eco-system in the world is in Miami.
5. Miami has more than 800 parks and is the only city in the United States that is bordered by two separate National Parks – Biscayne National Park and Everglades National Park.
6. Miami is the only major city in the US to be founded by a woman (Julia Tuttle).
7. With more than 800 buildings, Miami Beach’s Art Deco district is home to the world’s largest collection of Art Deco architecture.
8. In 2008, Miami was ranked #1 Cleanest City in America by Forbes Magazine.
9. Miami has the largest cruise ship port in the world.
10. In 2008, South Beach was rated #1 beach in America by the Travel Channel.